Wednesday 30 December 2009

Christmas Celebration in Second Life on December 28th



I was looking forward to the mission because Christmas is always a popular topic for EFL learners to discuss. To my surprise, the customs and the way to celebrate Christmas between Taiwan and Canada are quite different.

I had learned many new stories and activities in the mission. Jason provided some examples and illustrated the activities in detail. For example, Jason told us that people will go shopping the day after Christmas. It was called “Boxing Day.” Many stores will sell some products and goods in very low prizes. People in North America are crazy about it. In addition, it is hard to buy a real Christmas tree in Taiwan so we always use the artificial one instead. The “plastic” Christmas tree can be reused for several years. On the opposite, in North America, they will buy the evergreen or conifer and decorate them with beautiful and shining decorations. Jason told us that the tree smells very special and make the house full of Christmas atmosphere. But the tree won’t last for a long time. The evergreen and conifer belongs to coniferous forest. So after a few days, the tree will drop their needles and fade out.

The song “Santa Claus is coming to town” is encouraging children to be good and well-behaved, then they will receive presents from Santa. We always know that good children will get the gifts. But how about the “bad” kids? The custom in Canada, bad or naughty children will get the presents, too. But unfortunately, bad child will receive a lump a coal. That was interesting and I really enjoyed in it.

After the mission, I learned something new about Christmas. Through the discussion between Jason and the participants, the content of the conversation becomes fruitful and creative. I will share the new knowledge and ideas with my family and friends. They will be happy and excited, too. I am looking forward to the next mission.

Donner in Second Life brings me in a real fantastic world. I like there because all the decorations and the environment make feel like I was in a foreign country. I saw a lot of cute bunnies, a candy house, silver trees, gingerbread men, and hundred of thousand of decorations there. It gave me a deep impression. I will go there next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment